Monday, July 29, 2013

That '70's Look

I'm not sure I'm wild about it, but it seems to be making a comeback. Having started my first away-from-home decorating experiences in college during the '70's, it can feel a little old to me rather than retro. Having said that, there are some things from the '70's I'm glad to see!

I love, love, love "shag" rugs. Now called Flokati, modern shag, or longer-pile rugs, they have a softer more appealing look than those of the '70's, despite being a bit difficult to clean.

While avocado green isn't a favorite, there is something to be said for harvest gold, especially when paired with brighter, more up-to-date colors like this light green and orange.

IKEA has fabulous offerings of the '70's retro look. Complete with floral coverings for their sofas and chairs, interesting coffee and end tables
(remember metal carts?), and very cool lights, it may just be the go-to place for that '70's look. I love this table!

And finally, lighting.....think swags, chrome, lava lamps........ Okay, forget the lava lamps. But don't hesitate to swag your pendant lamp. And if you're looking for a desk lamp, what could be cuter - or more retro - than this?

If you're like me and thinking maybe the '70's decorating wasn't all bad, check out my new board on Pinterest.




No comments:

Post a Comment