Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Outdoor Decorating


We can finally start spending some time outside! Gardens are a wonderful backdrop to outdoor living, but I love to take things a step further and truly LIVE outside!

For me, that begins with the furniture. Some outdoor furniture, while attractive, just doesn't offer much comfort. And I want to be just as comfortable outside as in. Furniture I love usually has cushions, which not only make it comfortable, but add color and texture to the overall look. And chairs with ottomans are even better, which is something I adore inside.

Plis Outdoor Lighting shown in a Homedit blog post by Simona Ganae
I also want furniture for each of the functions of the outdoor space, which generally includes conversation and dining. Just like indoors, I don't want to be seated around my dining table when I am having drinks with your family and friends. But I do want to eat at a dining table, so two separate areas are important.

Then the touches to make everything complete. That may mean outdoor lighting like these lamps. I first saw these in a beautiful newsletter by Wendy Wrzos of the blue giraffe and knew I had to share. Isn't this a lovely picture?

Plants and flowers are the "accessories" as well as pillows and throws for chilly evenings. And don't forget a rug! Just like indoors, rugs help ground the seating area and bring in additional color and texture. Just make sure your colors don't compete too much with the natural colors surrounding you. Ahhhhh............
From Martha Stewart Living at Home Decorators Collection

1 comment:

  1. your home is very personal to you is why you furniture for home fits this wish. Our house is often a reflection of our personality, our likes and our love.
    Modern Furniture

    ReplyDelete